Question

Recovering from a viral infection
I contracted glandular fever in 2000. I recently had another episode coupled with tonsilitis and and bronchitis. Because I ignored the symptoms and went on training I ende up taking two sets of antibiotics and I am still struggling with my energy levels. Although the strength training is OK, my cardio fitness levels have really been compromised badly. I am really struggling to regain my level of fitness and am getting disheartend because I seem to be going backwards. I have been training for 5 months and am stuck. The recurrence came about after I had swum Midmar - which I might add I experienced as exhausting and draining although I know that I was maore than fit enough to swim the distance. Could this be a thrwoback of a viral infection and how should I go about improving my cardio training and general immunity ?

Lize

Lize, it sounds like you train fairly strenuously, so the best would be to see a specialist physician and have him make sure that nothing else is the matter. It might be due to the post viral fatigue, but there is a real possibility that it’s due to something completely different. Another possibility is that training whilst having a viral infection caused damage to the heart muscle and that this is the cause of your problems. Good luck.