Question

Recovering from broken collar bone
I broke my collar bone about 3 weeks ago. I have seen an orthopod, who says the shoulder should recover without any problems. Unfortunately he was a bit non-commital about when I could start cycling again, or any form of excercise I could do to ensure a good recovery. His basic comment was non to do anything that hurt the shoulder, but this does not really give an indication of when I can start strengthening the muscles around the shoulder. Any advice?

PS. The injury was an aligned break close to the AC joint.
physiotherapist

Hi Andre
Sorry to say but what he said is correct - judge what you do within the pain that you feel, and also the pain you feel after doing and activity. Because the cycling can put great pressure on the clavicle as you ride it may be better to let that one go for a while, unless this is your life blood and then cycle on flat roads and never straighten your elbow - let the bent elbow take the forces and protect the clavicle.
Douglas