Ask an expert

11 Feb 2003

Rectal abscess
After 3 days of treatment for haemorhoids It was discovered that I had a rectal abscess which had spread from the top of my buttocks almost to the penis area .Currently on antibiotics to bring down the swelling .Can this condition be eradicated by treatment or do I need surgery and how affective is surgery
Answer 297 views

01 Jan 0001

Raj, surgery is only indicated if there is dead tissue that needs to be cut away. Rest can usually be treated with antibiotics. Good luck.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.