Question

Recurrent corneal ulcer
I have a recurrent corneal ulcer. (Cause unknown) While I attempt to sleep at night, my eyelid tends to pull off a layer of epithelial cells and exposes the nerve endings which is extremely painful.
By morning the extreme pain is gone, but my eye is senitive and watery. Very sensitive to light.
My specialist has tried treating it by needling the epithelium down to the basement membrane in an attempt to cause the upper layers to stick better, but in vain. I am using Alomide drops twice daily and inserting Duratears into the eye at night. I have suffered from this for 7 months now.
PS I am 48 years old.

Fee, have you tried sleeping with a sleeping mask? It should keep the lids closed and might prevent the lids from irritating the cornea. If that doesn’t help, I suppose it won’t hurt to get a second opinion from a different ophthalmologist as I really can’t help you much from this side of the screen. Good luck.