Question

recurring osteomyelitis
I have had this infection since i was a child of 5. It first came about after having my tonsils removed. At 17 i had to be operated on and now at 28 i have the same symptoms again. i am not very eager to undergo another operation and if i do what are the methods used nowadays to clean out the bone and what are my chances of this happening again? Is it common to undergo more than one operation to get rid of this?
Thanking you
bianca

Bianca, treating osteomeyelitis is a difficult thing at the best of times. It often takes repeated operations to keep it from spreading and eventually curing it.
As far as the operation is concerned, they might drill holes in the bone, remove any debris and even put antibiotic beads in the bone (depending on the size of the bone). At the end of the day you have no choice but to go as you might end up losing a limb if you don’t. Good luck.