Question

Red, dry,flaky spots on arms back
Dear Skin Doc
Please can you give me some info on I think you call it cirrhisos of the skin. It started on my arms as a dry spot but red in colour, then after that it began to flake, sometimes if itch but other times it has a burning sensation to it, The red spots spread to my back and to my chest. Some people say it is stress related but I am not sure, can you provide me with enough information to help me out with a solution.

Thank you
Sonja
skindoc

I assume you have psoriasis of the skin. This skin condition involves the skin, hairs, nails and in 25% of cases, certain joints. Typical areas of involvement are the elbows, knees and lower back. The lesions are red and flaky. Stress, damage to the skin=trauma, infection and medications may aggravate the skin. Faulty genes are most likely the cause of psoriasis=it runs in families. Treatment options for mild case include tar, cortisone and vitamin D. Go to your doctor to confirm the diagnosis. I do not like making an electronic diagnosis of psoriasis.