Question

Red Meat
I have just joined the weigh less pregnancy plan. I am starting my 2nd trimester and have already picked up 6kg in the 3 months and felt i needed to control and do something about too much weight gain now already as i am already experiencing back pain due to heaviness. The Weigh Less plan seems really great (not too restrictive) however i am concerned that I am not allowed any red meat as yet (only much later in the months to come) I am used to red meat at least 4 times a week. I would gladly cut it out but am concerned of lack of iron during preg. Pls advise how i can get iron in without eating read meat? Will chicken and fish suffice? I also do take Chela Preg 1 a day with 15mg iron, is this then ok to cut iron out as i am still very very tired all day and night.... I intend asking my gynae to check for anamia if it has not stopped by the time i see her in 2 weeks, should she say i am anaemic i am worried about still cutting out red meat.
Psl advise soonest.

Dear Nicki
Chicken and fish, plus egg yolk will supply sufficient iron if you did not start out this pregnancy with anaemia. However, the 15 mg of iron in the Chela Preg should be more than sufficient to supplement your diet. By all means ask your gynae to check for anaemia. I think your tiredness may be due to a variety of reasons, including the fact that you are pregnant and your changing hormone levels can have this effect. Women usually feel much more energetic during the 2nd trimester, and get a surge of energy. Also mention the back pain to your gynae and ask if you are allowed to do gentle exercise like going for walks in the fresh air. I don't think that you are gaining too much weight and the Weigh Less plan should help a lot.
Good luck with the pregnancy.