Question

Red Streaks in Stool
Dear Doc,

Hope all is well with you, just a quick really embarrasing question: I have noticed this morning that there is red / marroonish streaks in my stool. It was quite a shock and I'm not sure whether or not to be concerned. I am not experiencing any abdominal pain or anything like that. Should I be concerned or is this normal? I also haven't had anything red like beatroot etc in ages. Your answer would really be appreciated!

Thx,

mac

Dear Mac
If it is just red when you wipe it could be a hemorroid but if it is mixed with the stool it comes from higher up in the bowel and that needs attention by a doctor - It can be a sign of a bleeding polyp or infection or cancer even.