Question

Re:Incorrect Advice: Diet Doc Gene 20/3/2003
The public are encouraged to comment in this forum. Why close the "milk is bad for you debate", because you personally don't agree with it? There is pleanty of scientific evidence to support this view, why attempt to supress it? Next will you supress any weight loss views that conflict with the world view of your nominated diet plan sponsor? South Africa is democratic, we have freedom of speech, and the "milk is bad for you" debate is valid. I would have hoped that a professional dietician would be objective and encourage debate on these important issues. Gene, I support your view and your right to express it.

Dear Ma'at
Thank you for your contribution. As a professional dietitian I do welcome discussions on scientific subjects, but I cannot get involved with subjective debates. If you read the hundreds of answers I have given to previous questions in the Archives (as you are encouraged to do), you will see among other things that I a) have debated the milk story repeatedly in the past b) that I worked out my Slimming Diet many years ago before Weighless became my sponsor. The problem with subjective views in any field, including dietetics, is that emotions get involved and although I fully support our democratic right to debate, I cannot support theories (and there are many, for example the Blood plan diet, the Canola oil debate, etc) which have not been proven by means of unbiased research. The latter involves studies that are conducted using a double-blind, placebo-controlled design and large study populations. Only when a number of such studies have repeatedly produced similar results and a meta-analysis of these results gives an unequivocal result, am I prepared to accept the findings. Science uses a slow and painstaking process to arrive at answers, which is often frustrating to the public who nowadays demand 'instant answers' as a right. If the scientific process has repeatedly proved that the use of milk by humans has negative consequences, I will accept the evidence, but until then I still believe that milk is the best source of calcium, and one of the best sources of riboflavin and high-quality protein available to man. It is also my democratic right to hold a different view to Gene and to defend it. Gene and you are of course perfectly entitled to your opinions.