Question

Relation between coxsackie & yuppie flu?
Hi there Doc

I have a friend who have been diagnosed with the coxsackie virus a few months ago. She describes her symptoms as chronic fatigue, dizziness and weakness. She also suffers from severe depression and anxiety attacks. Before her illness, she was a wonderful, bubbly and positive person. She has since resigned and she now almost never leaves her house or even her bed.
I've done some Internet research and it seems to me that the Coxsackie virus is often "blamed" to cause symptoms generally caused by yuppie flu. Are these to related at all? Apparently people think so, but I can't find any relation between the two!
She is currently on medication under the supervision of a psychiatrist, but it does not seem to be working. Could the medication be causing the "coxsackie virus" symptoms (dizziness etc)? Could she maybe have depression AND some virus? If you could maybe point me in a direction to find some more information to help her, it would be wonderful. Thanks for your help!
Cyberdoc

Dear Sue

Thank you for visiting health24.com.

It sounds like your friend suffers from severe depression and in order to assist her, you can consult her Psychiatrist. It is possible that her condition is viral related but I am almost certain that the Psychiatrist has done a battery of tests to exclude this.

Kind regards

Dr Anrich Burger