Question

Relaxation Meditation
Currently seeing a a psychologist, who is primarily treating me for PTSD. Relaxation meditation was suggested and will give it a try.
First attempt though lead me to a near emotional breakdown. I also have extreme anxiety. So not quite sure what happened, psychologist in trying to explain it to me said I had regressed to a very frightening time in my life and because I did not learn the normal coping mechanisms required that is how it presented. I was supported throughout the session so I do trust to a level, by nature I am not very trusting, but hey, I need to feel better.

Is this sort of treatment ok or should I be steering clear. What are the dangers if any? I really hate feeling vulnerable, but if it can help me I will give it a go.

I'm not clear what precise psychological method this psychologist is using, and maybe it'd be wise to ask him/ her to explain the method itself more fully. Its not useful at all to encourage "regression " in session, and cognitive-behaviour therapy seems more successful in such situations, and SSRI antidepressants can also help.
I wouldn't be happy accepting an entirely ad hoc method devised only by the one therapist, rather than a recognized and tested method used widely