Ask an expert

01 Dec 2005

Removal of Skin Tag - General Practitioner or Dermatologist ?
I have a SKIN TAG just beneath my shoulder blade that I would like to have removed because it seems to be getting a bit bigger and darker and looks ugly. (I am 40 years old).

I live in a very small town, which is more than an hour's drive from the nearest dermatologist. I would thus like to know whether it would suffice to have this procedure done by my general practitioner, or whether it is essential that it is done by a dermatologist.

What method will he use and will it involve a lot of bleeding ?
Answer 387 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Small Town Girl,
Your GP should be able to do it for you. He/she will probably put in a stitch or 2 and it won't bleed too much. Just ask him to send it away to a lab to check for skincancer - a routine procedure as it is always better to be safe rather than sorry!
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.