Question

Reply to DietDoc re Reflux
Hi DD
thank you for all the advice
I stick to mostly veg, lean chick, grilled hake, rice and bland foods -so far so good
just a concern i am eating eggplant drizzled with mozarella on sarmies as it does not affect the reflux and looked up the nutritional properties to find that it contains histamine one of my worst allergies how bad is this really? and lots of nicotine?
I eat say 3 slices per day is this overdoing it?

Thank you

Dear Tracey
I am pleased to hear that you are following a diet that is low in stimulants like spices, etc. However, as I said, your medications will cause excess acid production no matter what you eat. With any patient suffering from ulcers, gastric reflux, IBS, etc, reactions to foods are individual and vary from patient to patient (I do mention this in the article on GORD), so if the eggplant with mozzarella does not cause symptoms in your case, then you can eat it. Another patient may find that he or she develops severe symptoms with the same food and have to avoid it. This is why it is a good idea to keep a food diary and to note down which foods cause YOU distress so that you can avoid them in future.
Hope you are feeling a lot better.