Question

01 Apr 2003

reply to sue i cide - 30/3/2003
I couldn't help relating to what you've said... I can't help you I'm no expert but I wanted to let you know you are not alone... not too long ago I was in a similar state as you are now. I felt dissapointed by the world and all the pain and injustice that we have to live with every day. I was also in an emotional turmoil and couldn't manage to concentrate on what I must do or achieve. I was also constantly having an inner conflict about all my emotions - anger, self resentment, sadness, hate... etc and I WAS loosing the battle. This especially bothered me because I also were a very positive fun loving and energetic person before all this and couldn't understand what happened. I was depressed. I decided I couldn't go on like that and I went to see a shrink - the best decision I've ever made. At first I was very sceptic and distant but gradually I started to talk about what was worrying me - and that in itself was already a big help, My shrink wanted to put me on anti-depressants but I refused. I felt I should be able to handle things on my own, I don't want "pills" to do the work for me. you said "every time I’ve tried to pick myself up, I fall even harder..." and this was also the case with me! The more I tried to pick myself up the worse it got so after seeing my shrink for 4 months he finally managed to convince me to go on anti-depressants. And I haven't been on them for very long yet (only 2 months) but I'm already beginning to improve. I'm beginning to feel I can take hold of my life again and some of my energy is returning. I can't explain to you how great it feels to be able to start and conquer this. I'm not back to normal yet but I'm sure I'll get there with the support of my family, friends and Shrink. I'm telling you this because I think I know how you feel and I want to tell you that you are not alone and it DOES get better even if you can't possible think so now. I hope you'll be able to pick yourself up and please don't be as stubborn as I was take the help that is offered to you, Go see a shrink, it's worth the money and time. You get your life back and there is nothing more precious than that. Good luck and I hope you manage!!

Dear similar,
Thank you so very much for your mightily helpful message, which can serve as an inspiration to many of our readers. And as you're discovering, when pills are properly advised, they don't do the work for you, but they may make the crucial difference in enabling you to do the necessary work, and to do it succesfully and fruitfully. Congratulations, and keep up the excellent work you have begun.