Ask an expert

30 Jun 2010

Request for increas in maintenance
I have received a notice from my ex''s attorney to increase he maintenance that I pay towards my two children. The increase is seven thousand rand per month. I have requested her attorneys to prove that she needs the money. I also consulted with my attorney and we have drafted an agreement for an increase, but not that much. After numerous attempts from my attorney requesting feedback from her attorneys, they are ignoring us. It has been more than a year now. Is she playing some kind of game. My attorney said that we must sit back and wait for her. If this must go to court, what will the magistrate say about their ignorance?
Answer 360 views
Family law expert
family law expert

01 Jan 0001

Well it certainly does not seem that she is in desperate need of an increase and I guess the magistrate will take the delay into account. Remember that both parents have an obligation to contribute towards the maintenance of a child in relation to their respective income. So, like you, so does she also have to contribute.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.