Question

restless legs in toddler
My 2 and a half year old son seems to be falling asleep quite easily in the evenings-however he tends to wake up and start crying around 02:00 in the mornings and refuse to sleep in his own little toddlers'' bed afterwards. When we reluctantly put him in our bed he kicks himself open (even in winter time) which I can only assume is because he gets too warm. He seems to be suffering from restless legs (which he got from mom''s side) &  he can not talk properly at this stage as to explain to me what''s keeping him awake. We don''t want to give him warm milk or fluids because he must start potty-training soon. Any advice?
Sleep Expert
Sleep expert

Everyone wakes many times during the night. We learn to roll over and go back to sleep when that happens. However, he has discovered that if he makes a fuss, he gets to sleep in mommy's bed! Isn't it great how easily parents can be trained!

There are various techniques to teach him that while it is OK to wake up, it is not OK to wake the rest of the family.

I would suggest you speak to your paediatrician, who will be able to help you choose a way to do this which is as non-traumatic as possible.