Question

31 May 2011

resumed training after pregnancy
Doc, i just resumed with my training programme last month after two yrs break due to pregnancy and child birth. I have gained 26 kg. i would like to know if is it okay to do both cardio and strenght training, or do i have to focus on cardio only for now until i loose some weight? please advice

Hi Linda

Congratulations! On the baby and starting training again!

I think do both, but the focus should probably be more on cardio at first. But not exclusively. So if you have 4 days, maybe a 3/1 split, if you have 5 days, a 3/2 split. There's obviously big overlap between them, you never really do one or the other.

The two work off one another, and perhaps the main thing is to do what you enjoy - if you feel like a week or two of weight work, then focus on it, it's not going to cost you. If you feel more like cardio, then go with that. But on balance, the cardio will help a lot, but it is not the sole solution, so pair them up!

Ross