Question

Retinitis Pigmentosa
My husbands mother has Retinitis Pigmentosa. Her eyesight has been deteriorating over the last 30 years and is very bad now. My husbands eyesight is fine, but he sometimes has to wear glasses to read. My eyesight is pretty bad and I wear contact lenses, I'm short sighted. My question is: what are the chances of my offspring having Retinitis Pigmentosa? How would we go about testing to find out the possibilities of our children having it?

Thank you
Geneticist
geneticist

Dear Karen

I suggest that you contact the Department of Genetics at the University of Cape Town where research on RP is done. They will be able to offer genetic counselling to tell you about the risks involved as well as the possibility of genetic testing.

Regards, Maritha