Question

Ritalin
Last night my brother-in-law arrives at my home with STRESS AWAY tablets/capsules which he received from a friend of his. He tells me that my 14 year-old (who is on Ritalin) is slowly being poisoned as Ritalin contains Warfarin which he says is rat poison. He spews all this BS in front of my son, who obviously becomes quite nervous at the thought of ingesting rat poison!! We had this huge argument as he maintains that Ritalin is bad for my son and that we are supporting the system - which system I ask - the system he claims is making millions from the sale of Ritalin, which includes the child psychiatrist who prescribed the medication (after conducting a thorough assessment of my child) to the educational psychologist who referred my child, to the pharmacies who dispense the medication etc. etc. etc. He also maintains that psychiatrists and therapists are free masons (LMAO)!!! I normally ignore ill-informed, ignorant people such as he is, but he really got my back up last night when he tried to convince me to use Stress Away tablets to subdue my son and improve his concentration. My son has experienced only headaches (ocassionally) and loss of appetite as side-effects of Ritalin. He and his wife give their four year old son Stress Away tablets to " subdue"  him as he is too active. He tells me to " google"  Ritalin and see how damaging it is for my son. My son''s marks at school have improved drastically over the past two years, he can sit still and concentrate on a task without getting distracted, he no longer feels inferior to his classmates as he is achieving the same and often better results as they do! I know I should treat his comments with the contempt that they deserve, but I get so mad when others try to tell me what to do when it comes to my child. He says that it''s all a big conspiracy that the doctors and therapists have going to control children - seriously, this monkey does not know what he is talking about!! We take our son to the child psychiatrist every six months where he is assessed, weighed etc. His weight and height is almost always as it should be. We were advised by the said doctor that there is a possibility that either my husband or I could have had ADD as a child, which was undiagnosed (many parents years ago attributed bad marks/poor performance to naughtiness, laziness etc.) and therefore did nothing to help their children.

Obviously your brother in law is very dangerously misinformed. As with every possible medicine or remedy, there are some problems with Ritalin. But there has never been Warfarin in Ritalin, and if you fed it to rats you'd probably just get some annoyingly hyperactive rats. There isn't a shred of good scientific evidence I've seen so far, that Stress Away is of any value at all in properly diagnosed ADHD.
It was almost abusive in its degree of frightening and damaging the child with wild lies. Do ask your brother-in-law to gie you copies of his medical degree and his psychiatric and pharmacology qualifications.
What wildly irresponsible conspiracy theories. Gosh, if prescribing Ritalin was so dar profitable, why would anyone prescribe anything else, whatever the diagnosis ?
He illustrates the dangers of googling, in that it finds ALL sites mentioning, say, Ritalin, the expert, the informed and the downright loony.
He really must send me directions to my Masonic Lodge, as I must be lissing out on something good.
At least your son has a recognized disorder receiving what is recognized as appropriate treatment. Unfortunately, for your bro-in-law's condition, as my cat says, "There's no cure for Stoopid".
And I do love BMJ's relaxation technique. I really must try it !