Question

Ritalin / Calmolin
Dear Doc

Please can you give me your opinion on Ritalin versus Calmolin. My son has ADD and is on Ritalin - which i am not keen on at all. I have been told that Calmolin is a good alternative. (He is not hyperactive, just lacks concentration.) Thanks very much!!

Hails, Calmolin® contains no drug registered at the medicines control council for the treatment of ADHD. As far as I know it is registered as a food supplement and not supposed to take the place of Ritalin® in properly diagnosed children with ADHD. If your child is just mildly inattentive, it’s something to consider, but if he was diagnosed by a child psychiatrist to have ADHD, you shouldn’t stop the Ritalin®. Good luck.