Question

Rolling in Poo
Hi there

Could you perhaps shed light on why my female 5yold mongrel rolls in poo or if she kills any insect - locust or a gecko she rolls in their ''remains''....was just curious as to why dogs do that. I wish I could tell you her breed. Our guess is: Some whippet,some daschund and a good sprinkling super model (she is a beauty).
Dog Behaviour Expert
Dog Behaviour Expert

Hi BMJ, dont dogs do the strangest things - my own dog actually appears to have a smile on his face when he does it and runs up to me as if to say 'i'm so clever' - i dont think so!
We really dont know why they do this but the general idea is that it could be to mask their own scent from other animals in order to stalk prey - this would date back from their ancestors. Another idea is that they dont like the way they smell. If we look at it from a dogs point of view, although we find they smell much better after a bath, perhaps a dog doesnt think so and therefore looks for something to roll in. I have noticed that a lot of dogs seem to look for things to roll in after bathing, even if it is only grass etc. Nice to hear from you and i would love to see a pic of what your little one looks like - why dont you post a pic of her on the Readers Stuff on the friendsofthedog website? Take care, Scotty