Question

roosters in urban areas
Hi, are there any laws against keeping roosters in urban areas? My neighbour is keeping one practically next to my bedroom window and it crows all through the day and especially very, very early in the morning. I dont know how to handle this, its driving me crazy.....
EnviroHealth expert
EnviroHealth Expert

Although you can keep a small number of chickens in most residential areas, it is almost always unacceptable to keep a rooster because of the noise and nuisance factor, and you should absolutely not have to put up with this. There are different bylaws governing noise and keeping backyard poultry in different parts of the country, so you would need to contact your local municipality and speak to their law enforcement or environmental health department. Try speaking to your neighbour first though, and say that unfortunately unless they find another home for the rooster you will have to make a formal complaint. Let me know how it goes!