Question

Rope jumping
I would like to start rope jumping, what Id like to know is how much or for long must I jump each day for it to be effective and for which parts of my body will it help

HI Veronica

Skipping is a reasonable form of exercise, but I would actually encourage you to add skipping onto other forms of exercise if you can. The reason I suggest this is that it's really hard to skip for a good length of time, and ideally, you should be aiming for about 30 to 45 minutes of cardiovascular exercise per day, 4 to 5 times a week. You'll find that skipping produces such a localized fatigue of the calf muscles, that it's really hard to go for even 10 minutes. You can break the skipping down into shorter intervals of course, and this helps, but the intensity is so high, and the exercise is so specific for the calf muscles, that it's probably more practical to add in some other activities as well. For example, running, cycling and swimming, if you can do them, are other cardio activities that help with fitness and weight loss. They are also more overall whole body exercise. I hope this doesn't discourage you from skipping, and I'm not being critical of skipping - it's one of the hardest, highest intensity exercises you can do, and it really does work the calf muscles very hard, but for a fitness programme, the practicalities would require you to try other forms in addition to skipping.

I hope this helps.