Question

Rottweiler with itchy skin
Good day,

I've adopted an 8 year old Rottweiler X from a shelter last year. She's had a rough time and lived at the shelter for over two years. She adores being outside and rolling around in the grass and garden :-). I've been giving her Olympic dog food since I got her. We've recently moved to a house with a huge garden and she has found a hundred and one placed to roll around and sleep. The problem is her skin is extremely itchy and it's making her very uncomfortable. I've taken her to the vet and we've put her on a hypoalergic Eukanuba diet with some cortisone, but to no avail. The itching stays. Her hair is also falling out. She has now developed what looks like dried puss on her skin. Is she allergic to all the new plant life, as I'm sure its not her diet. What else could it be. She's such an old lady, its terrible seeing her suffer. I've started applying normal body lotion on the itchy spots on her belly and it seems to be a temporary help. What else can I do to make her retirement days better?
cybervet

There are many different things that it may be, however since she has just come from a shelter it is important to have her checked and treated for Sarcoptes mange mites. These mites live in the skin, and are highly contagious from one dog to another. Sometimes it can be very difficult for us to demonstrate these parasites, and it may be easier simply to treat all suspected cases. Please go back to your vet, and asked him to examine her again and check for these mites.

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town