Question

Running
I started to run last year and succeeded in completing 4 halfmarathons. For a number of reasons I became demotivated and stopped my training for 2 months, during which I picked up 6 kg (also due to bad eating during the holiday period). I now struggle to get back in a training mode for running, as the extra weight and the unfitness is making it difficult for me to run easily (and to enjoy it). At this stage, it is easier for me to gym - I do 20 min on the treadmill, 20 minutes on the stepper and 20 min circuit training 5 times a week. Do you suggest continuing in this way until I loose the weight and become fitter, before I start running again? I am 1.72m tall and weigh 68 kg and follow a healthy eating plan. What is the ideal weight for me if I take part in running long distances?

Hi there

Your BMI (body mass index) actually faslls into the normal category, so there is no reason why you can't start running again now. It is not necessary to lose the weight first. However, if you do not yet feel fit enough and would prefer to stick with the gym workouts for a month - why not choose that option. Then when you are fitter, you can start off the running again, even if you haven't lost much weight.

The most important aspect of exercise is that it is at least somewhat enjoyable.

Good luck!