Question

running and building muscle

I just want to ask a question. I started to pick up weight and I want to lose it. I ran comrades in 2000 and am keen on running and again.

Is it true that if you do road running it is difficult to build muscle. I want to training in the mornings running to lose weight and in the afternoons to build muscle.

I am 27 years old and weight 97 kg.

It can be a little difficult, because the running and weight training are two completely different stimuli for the body - the running is a cardio, low resistance session and the building would be a more high resistance session. certainly, someone who has done a good deal of weight training and bulked up will struggle to run. However, I really don't think that this applies to you. I think that the weight training can in fact complement your running very well. You just need to realise that you won't get super bulked up from the weight training if you are also running to train for Comrades (you wouldn't want to, because carrying 90 or more kilograms over 90 km is tough work), so you would have to decide for yourself on a compromise between the two. If you do it well, then you can very easily do the running and still maintain a good muscular build.

Hope this helps