Question

Running Fatigue
To kathy

I am training to complete a fitness test requiring a run of 2.5km in 10.15mins. I have been doing cardio work at the gym for the last year and currently I am doing rest interval training involving 12min on a natural runner, rest interval training on a rower/bike and then a 10min incline power walk. I do this 2 time a week. My problem is that when I try to do the run after about 2 min I feel increadibly fatigued. This does not seen to happen at the Gym. Why is this?

HI Paul

Not Kathy, I'm afraid, she doesn't manage the forum any more, but I hope that I can provide the advice you need (Ross, by the way!)

With regards to your question, I suspect that the problem is the nature of the training is not matched to the task you are training for. By this, I mean that your goal is to run at about 4 minutes per km for 10 minutes, and so your training should be building you up to that performance level, but it probably is not. I'm not sure exactly what the content of the training is - I don't know how long the rest is, and I'm not sure what intensity you are running or rowing or cycling at. These are the key variables - duration and intensity.

your goal is a tough one - 4 minutes a km is going pretty quickly, and so somewhere in the training you must 'teach' your body how to handle this level of intensity. Obviously, you cannot go out every single day and push yourself to the point of exhaustion, you have to mix hard and easy days in equal measure. But I do think that you need to have at least one or two days a week where you go out and run at this speed. What I gather from your training is that you have been walking and running (at what speed?), but maybe you need to go outdoors (not on a treadmill, in otherwords) and do an interval training session where, for example, you warm up with 5 minutes of slow jogging. Then, do 6 repetitions of 1 minute fairly hard running (at your intended test pace of 4 minutes/km), with about 3 minutes rest in between. This session starts to teach you how it feels to run at the pace you have to run, but the long rests should allow enough recovery so that you can do it feeling pretty strong. In about a week, you change this session so that you now do 2 minutes of hard running at your goal pace, with 3 minutes rest in between, doing 5 sets altogether. Then, another week later, you can do 4 minutes of running, with 2 minutes rest, 3 sets. This gives you 12 minutes in total, with rests in between.

I think that if you do this twice a week, then you will find that within the month, you should be getting close to the level you need to run this test. Just remember also that it is a tough goal - 4 min/km is not easy, even if it is only for 10 minutes, and so you must approach it with the appropriate 'respect', for want of a better word. That may mean that you have to look at your training and see where you can add training days, because 2 days a week is not enough to reach this level of fitness. Personally, in my coaching opinion, you need to have 2 interval days a week and 2 days of easy running, where you jog slowly for 30 to 40 minutes.

Good luck, I'm sure you will get there!