Question

Running plan?
I have been treadmill running for around a year and am pleased with the results, although I think I should push myself some more this year. I am also toying with beginning to do short runs on the road once I have upped my post-Christmas performance. I have "normal" takkies and think I will get proper running shoes to urge me on. My QUESTION is: Why are all start-up running programmes a combination of running and walking? I know that the combination is good for some training on some days. but should you do it every day? (By the way, thanks for a great "column").

Hi Meso

This is to allow novices to train for longer without tiring and also to let the bones, ligaments and tendons adjust to the extra loading associated with running. Furthermore, other systems of the body need to adjust, such as the cardiovascular and respiratory systems- so a graduated walk-run programme works best and also minimises the chance of injury.