Question

Running programme & holiday - how to maintain

Actually I have 2 questions:
1) I am on Week 7 of your Shape up for Summer running (10km) programme & enjoying it immensely, and I am also going on a tough 'Berg hike in April. I am using the running to get fit, loose size (not weight) and to train for the hike. However, in March I am going on a holiday in Mozambique. By then I should be able to run 10km, so, on holiday, how much do I need to run to maintain my 10km ability? I may not be able to run as much as I am now, but I am looking forward to dawn runs on those fabulous beaches!
2) Also regarding the pending holiday: Why is it it takes months to build up stamina and strength - and loose fat/ size - and then all that hard work can be GONE in 2 weeks? It's taken me almost three weeks to get back to the shape I was in after a 10-day holiday (I know, I know, I took my running shoes, but ...), and I'd done work throughout the year to get there before. You'd think you'd have more "grace time"!
Oh, and don't worry about know-it-alls who complain about your advice. If they are so knowlegable why are they asking you anyway. The rest of us need you!

Hi Sue
1) I would try to keep up with at least 1x 10km run a week and then perhaps even a few 30 minute runs on about 3 other days - this should keep you in shape and in 10km form. Try to push 2 of the shorter runs, so that your intenisty is higher.
2) It might feel like you have lost everything in 2 weeks, but you haven't really! However, even if you just do 3 "bits" of exercise whilst on holiday - it all helps. Especially if you keep up the intensity, since this is what will maintain your fitness levels.

Thanks for the encouragement and enjoy your holiday and your hike!