Ask an expert

21 Feb 2013

Safe house to be registered?
Hi CS,

I am not sure if this is the correct forum to ask the following question. Please refer me if I am wrong. My neighbour has recovering drug addicts to stay and apparently gets paid for it. My problem is that I have these roughed up men walking passed my gate everyday and I am a single woman alone most of the time. I get pretty nervous. I hear the one guy shouting at the dogs every day and making them fight with each other. His speech is very slurred so there may be some brain damage.

Is one supposed to register a safe house with the authorities and if so, where do I find out if he is registered.

Thanks for your help.
Answer 1,357 views

01 Jan 0001

I'm not clear what qualifications your neighbour has, or what services they are providing. He can't be providing any sort of therapeutic services without being properly qualified and registered, and I'd suspect he'd need some form of inspection ( to meet some sort of standards ) if he were providing routine accomodation for ANYONE, such as a guest-house, and all the more so if it specially accomodated drug addicts.
I wonder who'd be able to tell you. Maybe the city council, or even the police if you're one of the rare people to have a competent police station serving your area.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.