Question

Salt Water - for weight loss
There is a girl who swears she lost her weight because she was drinking loads of boiled water with some salt. The salt at first gave her cramps and a running stomach but after a while this subsided and now she has lost the weight.

I have a friend who has decided to do the same and I tell her that salt is posio if too much is taken but she is saying she is startig to lose weight as well.

Please explain this strange weight loss recipe to me. What does salt do to a person.

Dear Siso
Drinking salt solutions works as a laxative so you tend to develop diarrhoea and that may make you lose some weight because of water loss. This is however, a harmful way of trying to lose weight which could damage all kinds of body systems like the kidneys, and the intestines and cause deficiency diseases. Please tell your friend not to continue and to rather lose weight by reducing her fat intake and doing regular exercise.