Question

Same sex marriage: who to thank?
I have realised over the past few days that most people seem to think that one lesbian couple is responsible for securing the right to marry. This is in fact not the case, and there are more people who need to be thanked. Firstly, LGBT organisations, as far back as 1992, were involved in a process of ensuring that "sexual orientation" is mentioned in the equality clause of the Constitution, and this was the basis of ALL law reform for same sex rights over the past 10 years. Secondly, LGBT organisations have specifically worked on securing the right to marry, and were part of a court case, as well as presentaiton to ConCourt. Other couples were also involved. I think that the LGBT organisations in SA need a big thanks from all of us, not just for marriage, but also for adoption rights, pension rights, medical aid rights, the scrapping of sodomy laws, and so much more!
Gay, lesbian and bisexual expert
Gay, lesbian and bisexual expert

Welcome to our forum Lettuce and thanks posting here. I'm with you 100%.