Question

22 Apr 2006

scared
Hey I am a bulimarexic and everytime I purge after eating my heart gets palpitations and misses beats, I have blackouts and feel like fainting.Is there any chance my heart can just stop working?I am underweight and have been suffering for 4 years with this eating disorder.Please help i'm scared, if it's going to stop working anytime soon I need to prepare myself...
HeartDoc

Dear Fearful,

Your heart problems may be directly linked to your eating disorder, and may end up exactly as you most fear. Bulimia has a known association with ECG changes, notably QT prolongation, and this can result in sudden death.

So, if you want to avoid this, you must seek help with your eating disorder. This can kill you just as surely as can HIV/AIDS or any other medical condition. No, don’t prepare yourself to die, rather prepare yourself to live a fabulous life. You have the information to do what you know must be done. If you cannot do it alone, then get help. But do it.

I know it is not easy, that is why there are support groups out there. But I also know that it can be conquered.

I wish you good luck.

HeartDoc