Question

Scared about outcome if nothing is done
I am a 47year old woman with one, adult son. During a routine Gyanecological examination 4months ago I was informed that I had a uterine fibroid approximately 16wks size. I had no symptoms and was advised to wait/observe developments. Regardless of the reassurances, I worried about a 'growth' in my uterus. What if it turns out to be sinister? so I sought a second opinion, and a scan confirmed the fibroid, its size etc and I was advised to have it removed but given time to think it over. I have just had a follow-up ultra-sound and have been informed that the fibroid is showing signs of degeneration and I need not do anything about it for the time-being. Grateful if you could clarify the following for me:
1) Does the degeneration process mean that the fibroid id dying? If so what will happen to the 'dead' tissue
2) Does degeneration in itself have any adverse effects....short/long term
3) Can the process turn it into a cancer?
4) What will happen to the fibroid, at the end of the degeneration process, will it disappear or will a residue remain in my uterus always?
5) Could the fibroid grow back again?
6) Would surgery be the correct thing at this stage?
At the moment the only symptom I have is urgency to pass urine, i.e. when I get the urge to go, I have to be quick to get to the toilet.

I await your professional guidance.
Thank you

Degeneration in a fibroid means that the fibroid tissue is changing. This often causes pain and is an indication for surgery. There are no long term effects apart from pain. This process does not lead to cancer. Degeneration does not cause the fibroid to disappear and it will probably not even decrease in size. Fibroids tend to grow bigger over time and also to recur if just the fibroid is removed. I think that surgery would be a reasonable option at this stage.