Ask an expert

21 Feb 2003

Formally known as Blue, but some idiot took my nick name and 'jaag aan' on this forum

Dear CyberShrink, posted a week or so ago about my husband, he is now booked off and seeing a dr also started his medication again. I am looking for info about schizophrenia in South Africa where I can contact support groups.

I found a site (Canada) and that also helped me a lot to learn about this condition.

My husband don’t hear voices - they don’t tell him to do things and he do not believe that he is in the secret force, he don’t have hallucinations or distorted perceptions, he do however have the following symptoms :
Obsessive Thinking - talks about the same thing over and over and over. Tension or Worry , fidgeting, Pacing, Hostility, Feeling Guilty , Poor Concentration, Fatigue (Physically Tired All Day), Sleeping Problem cannot sleep at night, Excess Appetite - weight gain 30k in 2 years. Poor Physical Health, Poor Grooming and Hygiene - I must remind him to do everything brush teeth, comb hair, put on a fresh shirt etc, Money Management Problems - he lost money or don’t even know that he went to the atm to draw money cannot remembered what he did with money, Distrust or Suspiciousness, he firmly believes someone is following him plotting against him at work, at home wherever.

What I would like to know, in his working environment what his rights is. Can they fire him? Because he is on sick leave about twice a year (last year he was 6 weeks at home) and now again for 4 weeks.
Answer 304 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear TulaBell,
There are different types of schizophrenia, as you will have discovered in your readings, with different patterns of symptoms. From what you say, perhaps your husband has the variety that used to be called "Simple Schizophrenia", which doesn't hav the florid and dramatic symptoms some other forms have, but make it hader to the guy to lead an organized and effcient life and look after himself properly.
You raise a very important issue about his job, and i would be well worth consulting a labour lawyer about this ( it's outside my area of expertise ). His employers should not be allowed to fire him, as they know he is sick. it is posible, if he becomes unable to carry out his duies a work, and if he is unable to learn or adapt to a different job at work that is within his capabilities, that they may suggest tha he leave work, but that ought to be with a negotiated package ( and this is where the lawyer and perhaps union officials ) would come in, to ensure that he would receive a fair pension and lump sum, and continuing medical Aid cover, if he is medically boarded.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
34% - 9247 votes
66% - 17732 votes