Ask an expert

20 Jul 2005

My brother has been on modecate for many years for the teatment of schizophrenia. What are the chances of him being able to use some of the new improved medications that are available? He has no money and is not at all healthy in other areas of his life.
Answer 331 views

01 Jan 0001

Hello Enie,
It's hard to comment without knowing more details than we can exchange in this Forum. If he has been stable and reasonably well on Modecate, many experts would suggest that he remain on it, as we can't be sure whether more recent drugs for schizophrenia would suit him better. For many people with this sort of problem, the injectable drugs like Modecate have a major advantage --- the regular injections can be arranged, and there's less room for problems arising from someone forgetting to take their tablets. A few newer drugs are available in long-acting injectable forms, but not all.
Finances, unfortunately, also come into this. The newer drugs are more expensive, some of them much more expensive. As far as I know Modecate should be routinely available through the state health services, where the others might not be.
If he has other health problems, too, it might be worthwhile trying to arrange a seond opinion or re-assessment of his general condition and treatment. Maybe he could be seen at the Dept of psychiatriy at your nearest medical School, where they could review his situation more broadly. Sometimes they are able to access newer drugs but still within the state health system.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.