Question

Schizophrenia
My brother-in-law (who is 22 years old) has been diagnosed with schizophrenia and is a patient at Weskoppies. He has been exercising lately (which is wonderful!) and has recently asked us to get him "mass / weight" gain products as he wants to build muscle. I am not convinced that "over the counter" products work that well in the first place and am worried that any of these products might not be good for him, considering his condition and the medication he is on. Please would you advise.

I too am deeply sceptical that these products are of any value whatever ( and disappointed that the Dept of Health allows them to be marketed without major research evidence to back their claims ). And I would be a bit worried about him combining them with his meds, but it would depend on the exact contents of a particular supplement, and the exact meds he was on, so it would be best to ask the doctor treating him That he is getting into exercise is a healthy move and a good sign