Ask an expert

15 Dec 2005

My daughter (19) was diagnosed with Scolioses last year. Her back and hip are constantly in pain. What can we do to give her comfort?
Answer 298 views
Healthy Bones
Healthy Bones

01 Jan 0001

Dear Antjie
Please consult an orthopaedic surgeon specialising in backs to see her as her degree of scoliosis should be carefully monitored.If she has a severe curvature (> 50 degrees) and there is clear progression, surgery might be indicated. Mild curvatures ( 10-20 degrees) usually only require regular follow-up, but more severe curvatures may require a brace. Back strengthening exercises would be imperative to try and maintain good posture and relieve discomfort. A physiotherapist can give advice here. Treatment is always individualised. Ask your GP for a referral to an orthopaedic dr and physiotherapist.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
34% - 9260 votes
66% - 17813 votes