Question

Scottie pups: competing
Hi there... it is me again with the 2 cutie pie pups (male and female).

Could I please have your advise again? We buy them nice ostrich sinew and hooves to chew on - the problem is that they want each other''s " chewy-thingie" .... we put out 6 at a time, but they will still compete over one. They actually snap at each other.

Is this only a " puppy-thing"  or will I have to try and keep the peace forever?  -)

Thank you very much.
Dog Behaviour Expert
Dog Behaviour Expert

Hi Beeeee, nice to hear from you again. If the reaction to one another is not severe, then I would leave them to sort it out themselves as much as possible. However, from time to time, step in and as pack leader you decide who can have what, and what behaviour you accept or dont. Often a situation like this results in one dog only having access to the resources, so while doing some Alone Time training (putting them seperately for a while to build their confidence and not become too dependant on one another), why dont you use this time for them to have some peace and quiet and have a good chewy each. If the reaction is severe, I would then say get somebody in to get this sorted out before it becomes a problem or perhaps ask at puppy school. Take care, Scotty