Question

Secondary liver cancer - detox and hydro treatments
My mother is 59 years old and she was diagnosed with secondary liver cancer in June 2003. She had colon cancer about five years ago, but was clean until June last year. When she was diagnosed with the colon cancer, as piece of her colon was removed and she also received chemotherapy. However, the chemotherapy made her so ill, that her docter said it would kill her before the cancer did.

Since my mother was diagnosed last June, she changed her diet. She doesn't eat any meat anymore (her liver can't handle it) and she also drinks barley wheat, oxygen pills and a whole lot of other health products. What worries me, is that she started with a detox program a month ago. The program includes having a "hydro" every day - she sits in a "tent" and steams. These hydros make her extremely tired - she is forever lying down and resting. She doesn't have any energy anymore.

I recently saw a program on SABC3 on detoxing. The presenter said that, in order to excrete as many toxins than you would urinating only once, you would have to sit in a sauna for 10 hours! I really cannot see the good in doing these hydros, especially since it drains my mother's energy levels.

Do you know if doing these hydros will do my mother any good (or harm)? Can you give me some more information or refer me to someone who can help me?

Kind regards,

Sarah
naturopath

The treatment of cancer is extremely complex and entails all people involved to work together with your mother at the center. I would advise that your mother only do this type of natural therapy if under close supervision, where the Naturopath can assess whether the 'heat' therapy is being effective or just depleting her. It can be effective in stimulating resistance and immune response (it is not the detox aspect that is of benefit in this condition), but can also make things worse by tireing and dehydrating your mother.
Many aspects need to be checked, nutrition is extremely important, weight loss is the biggest complication facing your mother, and this needs to be carefully monitored.
The Oncologist, GP, and Naturopath need to work together openly and construct a program that is supportive of your mom, I recommend that she liaise directly with a team like this.
(Dr Chase Webber ND)