Ask an expert

26 Mar 2003

I have a serious problems in my hands, my sister. She is having marital problems in somuch that she wants out of the marriage. She found out that her husband has been cheating on her for about two years now and not only that he was financial supporting the girlfriend with all the money he had and the wife was doing everything in the house. They tried everyhting possible to work things out but the husband is still irresponsible when it comes to money. He has too many unpaid debts which he can't account for and this month he is only left with R2.00 in his babk balance(no contribution in the house hold as yet) They have two boys which he doesn't contribute anything towards their upbringing.
I kno w this might not be the right forum but she needs my help and I've run out of ideas. My suggestion was a separation but I don't know the legal implications of doing that. Can someone please give me more info with regards to this?
Answer 329 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Stalush,
Surely she really, and urgently, needs a legal consultation, to be sure she protects the rights and interests of herself and the children ? If money is a serious problem, she could explore the availability of free or very low-cost advice from the nearest University's Law Dept's Legal Clinic ; some attorneys ( check the Law Society ) offer at least an initial 30 minute consultation free, I understand ; and there may be availability of advice from the Family Advocate office a the nearest Magistrate's court.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
34% - 9270 votes
66% - 17924 votes