Question

Severe lower back pain
Dear Sir,
Three months ago I underwent an operation to remove my left kidney due to it being overwhelmed with cancer.

Since then I have suffered a gradually increasing ache which is now a severe lower back pain centralized in the left sciatic region, but extending down the left leg. The pain is so severe that I can now hardly walk.

I was taking pain-killers but they have reduced my appetite and am now taking homeopathic relaxants and anti-inflammatories. Xrays have not shown anything that has been of concern to either my GP or the urology-surgeon.

My local homeopath reckons that a nerve has become trapped in the lumbar region and that she can begin a course of gentle manipulation with a set of exercises.

Therefore I would appreciate your thoughts on this matter.

Sincerely, Graham Harling
Orthopaedic Specialist Forum
Orthopaedic Specialist Forum

I think you should get the opinion of a spinal surgeon or neurosurgeon as there may well be a trapped nerve. I am not sure if manipulation is the correct way forward - it would be more appropriate to first verify the diagnosis