Question

Sex and ovulation
Have been TTC for 4 months. Is it normal to have discomfort (not pain, but tenderness) during sex for the few days around ovulation?

I am supposed to ovulate today. 2 Days ago it felt like I was ovulation on the left hand side, but today it feels like I am ovulation on the right hand side. Is it possible to ovulate on both sides in the same month? Does it have anything to do with twins? Or could it be something else?
fertility expert

Dear Ali

The symptoms you describe, ie discomfort at the time of ovulation during intercourse, is not uncommon. It is usually secondary to a small amount of blood which is released at the time of ovulation and would then cause irritation to the lining of the pelvis internally. Initially the pain is on the side of ovulation, but as the blood gravitates to the middle the pain shifts to the opposite side. It itherefore unlikely that you are ovulating from both sides at the same time although this is a possibility in some patients.