Question

Sharp pain

For about a month now I get an on and off sharp pain on my labia majora, it will sometimes be the left side, sometimes the right side. It lasts a few seconds then goes away. Nothing is swollen or red and I don't have an infection. What could cause this sort of sharp shooting pain on that small area??

Thanks!

Hallo Maureen
Painful labia is also known as vulvodynia. The cause is uncertain, but researchers are considering several possibilities:
Injury to, or irritation of, the nerves of the vulva (labia)
An abnormal response of different cells in the vulva to environmental factors (such as infection or trauma)
Genetic factors associated with susceptibility to chronic vestibular inflammation
A localized hypersensitivity to candida (yeast)
Spasms of the muscles that support the pelvic organs

Your gynecologist should do an examination and if she finds no problems, it may be worth your while to let a physiotherapist look for muscle spasms/triggerpoints in the pelvis (the doctors usually miss this)