Ask an expert

16 Feb 2009

Shelfish Allergy
Accute allergic reaction to Shelfish - What other foods/spices should I avoid?
Answer 437 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Pieter
Have you been tested to determine if you are only allergic to shellfish or if you also have cross-reactivity to other types of fish? If not, please aks your dr to send you for the necessary tests. To read more about food allergies click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Allergy & intolerance'. You can also contact the Allergy Association by visiting their Website at: to find out more about allergies. You will have to read food labels carefully and be vigilant when eating in restaurants to avoid contamination of other foods by shellfish (e.g. oil that may be used to fry shellfish that is then use to fry chips, etc).
Best regards
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9328 votes
67% - 18826 votes