Question

Shingles - after the fact
Hi there,

I contracted Shingles a couple of years back after an exceptionally stressful period. Since then I have been fine and it hasn't recurred.

However, a friend recently told me that because of my shingles I now carry the herpes gene and will be a carrier for cold sores and such for the rest of my life (this after I asked to borrow some lip-ice!). I have yet to hear of anyone who I have kissed or shared cold-drinks or lip-ice with complain, but is there any truth in this claim?

Many thanks!
Cyberdoc

Dear Gareth

Thank you for visiting health24.com.

Shingles are Herpes Simplex 1 and it is true that you will be carrying the unactivated virus in the spinal cord for the rest of your life. Sharing lip-ice, cold-drinks and kissing can not infect someone else if your Herpes Simplex is in the dormant stage. Should you, however, have a cold sore, it will infect someone else when doing the afore mentioned things.

Attacks are usually caused by extreme stress, sunlight and the use of immuno-supressive drugs.

Kind regards

Dr Anrich Burger