Question

Shingles vaccine
Should a person who has had a case of shingles receive the shingles vaccine following recovery? If so, how long a time should the person wait before getting it? If not, why would a physician recommend receiving the vaccine? What are the chances of getting shingles again, with or without the vaccine?

Thank you.

Dear Jan
I don't think Zostavax is available in South Africa yet, if it is, yes I would recommend getting it as one can get repeated shingles infection. You should have recovered fully from the shingles attack before getting the vaccine.
Shingles can recur, but the risk is low (about 1% to 5% chance). There is some evidence that a first zoster episode boosts the immune system to ward off another attack. People with impaired immune systems, such as those with AIDS or cancer, does not get this booster effect, and these patients are at particular risk for multiple recurrences of shingles.
You could ask Merck SA if it is available? 011 372 5000
See http://www.drugs.com/zostavax.html