Question

SHINSPLINTS
Dear Doc,

I had problems with my shins in school when I did long-jump and sprints and had a stress fractor (thin crack in my bone) in my left shin in 1994 from walking and marching with boots (my army year). My shin was swollen and purple and I could hardly walk. I was told to do no excercises or heavy walking/jogging for six months and the doctor suggested that I put the leg in plaster. I stayed off the leg, but refused to put it in plaster, because that would have meant that I wouldnt take part in our passing out parade the end of the year.

Today (9 years later) it still feels a bit swollen where the fractor was, and it hurts when I press with my finger on it and only stings now and then when I jog. Do you think I should have it checked out, or do you think its just a bit sensitive where the bone healed? I started going to the gym now and really enjoy it - I dont want to stop now. I also bought a good pair of running shoes which (I think) will help alot.

HI there

Considering it is still tender to the touch, I would rather you were cautious and ad it checked out. One of our Sports Physicians at the Sports Science Institute could do this - to make an appointment phone 021 659 5644 - or they can refer you to someone else if you live elsewhere.

The bone should have healed completely by now, but perhaps you have low bone density and need a calcium supplement or alternative treatment.

I hope this helps.