Question

SHOULDER INJURY-
Good Day

My husband has had an accident while holding up very heavy equipment on top of scaffolding -cosing his shoulder & mdash what he thinks to dislocate-This happened over 2 months ago-

He is in constant pain& mdash -he has been to Physio -specialising in Bone therapy& mdash no joy& mdash He has been last week to an Orthopedic Surgeon& mdash who gave him an injection in the shoulder and he has also had Sonar& mdash which did not pick up anything.

My question is how much detail will an MRI pick up and is it worth the money -especially if one does not have decent medical aid? Secondly how dangerous is these shoulder ops & mdash if there is a torn ligament?

I look forward to your urgent response.

Ruth
Orthopaedic Specialist Forum
Orthopaedic Specialist Forum

With the pain your husband is complaining of one possible diagnosis is certainly that of a torn tendon. Sonar can miss tendon tears, it depends on the expertise of the person doing the sonar ( in other words, sonar is very 'operator dependent')
MRI can give more information but is admittedly very expensive. What we do in certain cases of severe pain in the shoulder is to avoid the MRI and proceed to an arthroscopy to diagnose the problem and repair it under the same anesthetic