Question

sickness of our time
Having read these forums, it appears that depression is probably the sickness of our time. Its perhaps so bad, it should be treated as a national emergency.

I would like to state that I think the capitalist system is to blame. The competition is intense and people are motivated (either by greed or survival instincs) to hurt others. Maybe another economic system wouldn't be so bad.

Dear xxxxx,
Depression is indeed a very common illness in our times. Sometimes it is misdiagnosed, and pronounced to be present when it isn't ; sometimes it isn't noticed and managed when it is present.
I'm not sure about declaring it a National Emergency --- mental health was already announced to be a priority of the present government, on numerous occasions, and they continue to neglect the entire field, shamelessly. And considering the appalling mess that has been made of dealing with the national emergency of AIDS, its hard to see how such a satus would help Depression ! Probably, the President and our increasingly bizarre MInister of Health will set up a commission of depression-dissidents, who will anounce that depression either doesn't exist, or is all an Imperialist plot, or can be cured by anti-freeze and cotton-wool.
The trouble with te suggestion that the capitalist system is to blame, is that all the evidence suggests that depression is just as common and unpleasant in all societies and systems, as it certainly was and is under comunism and other alternative systems. It seems to be inherent at least as a potential within the structure of the human brain. My experience through people I have known around the world in different systems, is that the other systems are just as dominated by greed and the survival instinct.
Now, could we devise a society / system which was kinder and gentler, in which people might be less prone to Depression, and treated more understandingly when they did ? Probably, on paper at least. But getting there from here, wouldn't be easy !